Tuesday, May 19, 2009

English historical Linguistics

Been studying this subject for the past few weeks, is not difficult to understand though, but I shuddered when I took a glimpse of the past year papers..The questions themselves are incomprehensible for me.. got me into dilemma. Just a minute before, I was happy that I'm able to handle fifteen century text in the last chapter of the textbook, it sounded, 'cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggs. And the good wyf answerde that she could speke no frenshe. And the merchaunt was angry for he also coude speke no frenshe, but woulde haue hadded egges and she vnderstode hym not.' The translation of this small chunks of text is fairly simple, It was a story about a merchant that had his ship stopped at the River Thames of London, and went down to get some meat and eggs. Eventually, the lady couldn't understand (vnderstode, 'v' in front and 'u' in the middle, often mixed up by the fifteenth century people) a single word he uttered, and claimed that she doesn't speak French... It's significant that people during that period have accent variation due to the lack of media, unlike now, mutual intelligibility is high.
Link to what I've said just now, the bloody past year question..
semester 2006/2007. The first question went, 'English and Italian are genetically related languages' make clear what is meant by this statement.. I was like 'wtf?' (I don't learn Italian!)Apart from they are having the same ancestor, which was Proto-Indo-European, I've nothing in my mind... what a disaster..
Atonement brings calm to me.. at least I enjoy digressing Ian McEwan fiction in this rainy day, I'd say it is more difficult compare to my text.. I'll keep repeating those lines in my mind if I can't catch the meaning of that sentence.. Imagination refresh my mind, I can start seeing how the characters dance, the way they talk, and even smell the faint perfume in the air..

Starving, dinner time!!

No comments: